LostCircles (https://lostcircles.com/) uses a proprietary format that NodeXL fails to open and use.
Below is a workaround for this problem and a step by step approach to charting your Facebook network of friends:
- Open the “Graphml (No Pics)” file downloaded from LostCircles
- Find the <node id=”n0″> tag and delete all the text that precedes it
- Copy and paste the text below before the <node id=”n0″> tag:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <graphml xmlns="http://graphml.graphdrawing.org/xmlns"> <key attr.name="label" attr.type="string" for="node" id="label"/> <key attr.name="Edge Label" attr.type="string" for="edge" id="edgelabel"/> <key attr.name="weight" attr.type="double" for="edge" id="weight"/> <key attr.name="r" attr.type="int" for="node" id="r"/> <key attr.name="g" attr.type="int" for="node" id="g"/> <key attr.name="b" attr.type="int" for="node" id="b"/> <key attr.name="x" attr.type="float" for="node" id="x"/> <key attr.name="y" attr.type="float" for="node" id="y"/> <key attr.name="size" attr.type="float" for="node" id="size"/> <key attr.name="id" attr.type="string" for="node" id="d0"/> <key attr.name="name" attr.type="string" for="node" id="d1"/> <key attr.name="userName" attr.type="string" for="node" id="d2"/> <key attr.name="profile" attr.type="string" for="node" id="d3"/> <key attr.name="dataUrl" attr.type="string" for="node" id="d4"/> <graph edgedefault="undirected">
- Save the file or Save it As a new GraphML file
- Open NodeXL and “import from GraphML file”
- Group by cluster and put all neighborless vertices in one group
- Go to the Vertices sheet
- The URL in the Label column is the same as the URL in the profile column (redundant information that you can replace). Change the format of the Label column from Text to General to allow the insertion of formulas (otherwise, your formulas will appear as text and will not be calculated)
- Delete all values in the Labels column (enter the first cell, then ctrl+space and delete)
- Type =[@name] in the first cell of the Labels column. It should automatically replicate to all the rows
- In the graph pane, choose the Harel-Koren Fast Multiscale graph style
- From the same dropdown, go to the Layout options and Lay out each group in its own box
- Draw the graph – If you have a few hundred friends on Facebook, fairly distributed in groups (family, colleagues, beer buddies, etc.), the layout should be good enough
- Calculate all graph metrics
- Autofill Columns with Vertex Size linked to Degree with vertex size options ranging from 1 (smallest) to 50 (largest)
- Sort the vertices by Degree
- Set the label position of vertices 50+ to “nowhere” to hide the least connected friends
- A good practice would be to set the tooltip to the username in order to see the names when you hover over a vertex
- Add two employees under Maya (customer relations) in Excel
- Add a “salary”, a recruitment year and a “seniority” column using =DATEDIF(F2,NOW(),”y”)
- Run the organization chart wizard in Visio
Modèle de présentation (template) Powerpoint du projet de thèse à l’école doctorale de l’Université Saint-Joseph à Beyrouth.
Pour télécharger (download) utiliser le bouton droit de la souris puis “sauvegarder” ou “save as”:
It was a great pleasure for me and the Master in Human Resources and Leadership to welcome Mr. Diya Obeid, CEO of JobDiva for a lecture about HR technology in the age of big data.
Mr. Diya Obeid is the founder of both JobDiva and Axelon, two staffing and recruitment companies headquartered in NY city.
Mr. Obeid is a holder of several patents in technology, job search and job matching.
During his lecture, he talked about the evolution of jobs and how lay-offs were hurtful to a company’s image less than a century ago. He said that staffing is trending again in the gig economy. Staffing was in fact the way jobs used to be before the full-time employment scheme. Today, in the US, 5 to 15% of employment contracts are done through staffing.
Technology helps match the right person to the right job at the right time. While technology is not 100% perfect, he says that he considers a system efficient is the margin of errors is less than 5%.
Mr. Obeid described the landscape of technologies and tools related to recruitment, job search and staffing. He talked about the criteria to select the right software for your company. Basically, avoid taking the CIO with you (you don’t bring your mechanic with you to buy a new car), choose a system that is configurable and not customizable, and use a cloud based solution.
He concluded that tomorrow’s jobs are for the “right-brainers”. There will always be jobs for technicians but companies will look for people with social skills: philosophy, psychology, sociology, etc., because these skills will become indispensable, even for those who choose a technical career.
1- Lock Object
2- Create text frames
3- Place Method text
4- Create a Drop Cap > Window > Type & Tables > Paragraph Panel
5- Continue text (link) in Results
6- Place USJ logo
7- Place girl
8- Wrap text around girl > Window > Text Wrap > Type: Alpha Channel > Alpha 1
9- Place IPM logo
7- Rotate IPM logo
8- Place Copyrights Image
9- Use Transparency > effects pannel > Transparency
10- Place Table
11- Fill Table
12- Change color and line of Conclusion Box
13- Place and rotate text in Conclusion Box
14- Place Superman – Wrap text around Superman’s frame
15- Flip Superman
16- Create Drop Shadow
17- Create bullet points in Aim
18- Draw Lines
19- Draw Stars > double click polygonal tool
20- Place Copyrights Image
23- Create Circle
24- Position Circle
25- Create Text on Path
26- Create Orange Image Box in Introduction
27- Round Corners
28- Place Image
29- Use Effets
A NodeXL example that shows the difference between Betweenness Centrality (at the center of the graph. Has control over the flow of information), Closeness Centrality (closeness to all conversations) and Eigenvector + Page Rank Centrality (the centrality of the people I’m connected to matters)